Thursday, July 1, 2010

Picnic on the Porch


Ben is traveling this weekend to Benakuma, so he wanted to do something special with the family today, since he is leaving tomorrow morning. He suggested a picnic. Well, it was raining, so we had a picnic on the porch! It was fun. I wasn't feeling all that great, but I mustered up enough energy to make some biscuit pizzas. They are pretty fast, and better than your average pbj...Kate helped me too, and that made it go faster.

She has become quite a helper lately. I can always call on her to shred cheese, chop veggies, stir something in the pot. And it is good quality time that we can spend together too. The other day we were listening to Patch the Pirate and the song "Cherish the Moment" came on. Goodness that song makes me cry. I try not to really concentrate on the words b/c inevitably I'll cry. When the kids think that song is about to play, they will ask, "Is that the sad song?" Well, when Kate was in the kitchen with me, she asked me why it was so sad. I just told her that it makes me realize what a bad Mom I am. I shouldn't be constantly frustrated with my kids, but cherishing every single moment with them. Kate just looked at me and said, "Mom, you're not a bad mom? I get frustrated too ya know." ... I'll be honest, Kate is the one that makes me pull my hair out the most. That girl is going on 8, and she is so troublesome! Not in a really rebellious way, just like an inquisitive 2 year old. I'll have an important computer or camera cable, or kitchen utensil that I'm missing, and inevitably Kate is the one that took it. She is such a stinker. She literally weighs her decisions in the balance...is what I want to do worth the punishment that I'll receive? And usually the answer is yes! I know that if we train and raise her to love the Lord, that God can use that tenacity for His honor and glory, and that is my prayer.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Picnics are always fun. I am so glad that Kate is getting old enough to help you in the kitchen. Someday you will miss that little stinker. She will be all grown up. And her determination and independance can be a good thing when she is older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed that reminder Becca! Today has been rough with the kids! I need to cherish my time with them more! And by the way, Kate and Malorie could be a real pair if they were together more! :-)

    ReplyDelete